How to reduce your risk of infection:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Using soap and water is the single most effective way of reducing the spread of infection. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Do not touch your face, eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover your mouth and nose with the crease of your elbow or a tissue when you sneeze or cough.
- Regularly clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces.
- Do not share food, drinks, utensils, etc.
- Stay home if you feel you are sick and follow your employer’s policy.
How to stop the spread of viruses on site:
To prevent a disease or virus from spreading on site, take the following steps:
- Emphasize hand hygiene etiquette by all employees at toolbox talks and orientations – lead by example, put up posters of proper hand washing techniques.
- Ensure that hand washing stations and alcohol base hand sanitizers are on site and available for all workers.
- All offices and non-porous tools are sanitized and cleaned regularly.
- Actively encourage sick employees to stay home
- Do not permit anyone to enter a worksite if;
- They or a member of their household have traveled outside the country within the past 14 days
- They or a member of their household have exhibited symptoms of COVID-19 in the last 14 days
- Symptoms include: (Fever, Cough, Difficulty Breathing, Sore throat, sneezing)
- Perform environmental routine cleanings.
- Plan to minimize exposure between employees and the public – follow social distancing procedures.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth.
- Do not share cups, glasses, dishes or cutlery.
- Place informative posters telling people what to do if they get sick.
For additional resources on how to stay safe, press updates/alerts and testing data please visit the following links:
Nova Scotia Government: https://novascotia.ca/coronavirus/
Nova Scotia Health Authority: https://www.nshealth.ca/coronavirus
World Health Organization (WHO): https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019
Online Mental Health Support: https://login.strongestfamilies.com/folder/1963/